Every morsel of food that enters your mouth has an impact on your smile. If you have a favorite food and find yourself questioning its power over your teeth, it might behoove you to read on down and find out if it’s one of the top five foods that can ruin your smile. I’ve included beverages too, as there are several with teeth-staining capabilities.
There are certain foods that, no matter how often you eat or drink, will leave a lasting imprint on your smile. These are healthy for your body, yet not so great for maintaining the whiteness of your teeth.
- Coffee and black teas
- Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Red wine
- Curry powder (any food that contains curry powder in the sauce)
- Cranberry juice, purple or red grape juice
- Balsamic vinegar
- Soy sauce
Also to note that acidic foods and beverages or extreme changes of hot and cold can cause the pores of the teeth to expand, allowing stains to penetrate. Tobacco products, while not on the food and beverage list, will definitely affect the quality of your white teeth.
Dr. Fleming at the Dentistry of Nashville can guide you towards your best smile. Here are ways to avoid the trappings of permanently stained teeth, and maintain your attractive appearance when making a first impression.
- Brush and floss daily.
- Swish warm water around in your mouth after eating foods that can stain teeth.
- Use a stainless steel straw to draw liquids towards the back of your mouth when drinking color-tainted beverages.
- Eat foods that can clean your teeth, such as apples, carrots, celery, cabbage, cheese, sparkling water.
- Visit your dentist regularly for exams and routine cleanings.
It’s important to be mindful of the foods and beverages you eat and drink, as everything will impact your smile. Dr. Fleming and his caring staff provide the comfortable dentistry experience you need to make your dream smile a reality. The instant you enter The Dentistry of Nashville, that’s the moment you have decided your teeth are worth their weight in gold. Give his office a call today and take your smile to the next level!